01. What is Self Storage? ^top
Self storage allows people and businesses to store their items, at affordable rates, for flexible time periods ranging from 2 weeks to 20 years. Self storage provides secure, do-it-yourself storage rooms for individuals, families and businesses.
In return, homes are freed of clutter, small businesses have space to grow and our customers have peace of mind that their items are in a secure place with 24-hour access.
Self storage facilities are modern, clean, bright and well-lit and feature sophisticated 24-hour security systems including a personal access code system which allows customers to access their storage space at their own convenience, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Clients rent their own clean, dry, private, self-contained storage room, and lock it with their own padlock.
Self storage offers customers a wide range of storage units, giving them the flexibility to rent space sizes according to their needs. These range from large lockers for students and backpackers and small 16 sq ft walk in storage units which can store a few boxes, to big 450 sq ft units. Clients also benefit from the freedom to up or down size at any time (subject to availability).
02. How does Self Storage work? And what makes self storage different from warehouses? ^top
Unlike traditional storage, self storage makes it possible for you to rent the space that suits you. Now you don’t need to pay for space you don’t need.
In the past, personal and business users had to rely upon removal companies and large storage organizations to store their items on their behalf and had limited access, no flexibility and long-term contracts.
With the advent of self storage, you are given more choice on how you store your items.
03. What is a self storage facility? ^top
The features offered at each Extra Space self storage facility include:
- Unlimited 24 hour x 7 day access via secured pin code access
- Round the clock security CCTV
- Individually alarmed storage rooms
- Free parking
- Free use of trolleys and pallet jack
- Helpful staff to assist you
- A retail store that caters to your packing needs
- Only two weeks termination notice is required
- No penalty for upsize or downsize when required
04. How much does it cost to store my things with you? ^top
The cost of a storage room depends on the size you require. We know how difficult it can be to determine how much storage space you will need, and so we would recommend that you visit us at our facility and talk to our trained staff so that they can determine your precise needs. This ensures that you do not pay for any more space than you actually require. You may also want to check out our 360° view of our storage units and our Size Estimator page.
05. Can I purchase packaging materials? ^top
Extra Space’s Box Shop has a range of packaging products available. From boxes, bubble wrap, markers, tape, shelves, stretch films, pen knives to even padlocks.
06. Does Extra Space provides me with a padlock? ^top
No. You need your own padlock to ensure that you are the sole key holder for your room. You can purchase a new, sealed lock at your local Extra Space facility. No one else has a key to that lock.
07. How do I pay for my storage rental? ^top
A monthly invoice is sent to you for this service. You can mail us a cheque, pay via AXS stations, internet bank transfer or visit us at our facility to pay by cash or credit card. Your payment terms are spelled out in the storage agreement.
08. Is there insurance coverage for the storage contents? ^top
Recognising that many business and domestic customers would prefer insurance protection over their items, Extra Space has worked with AON Singapore and MSIG Insurance Singapore, to provide coverage at competitive rates.
09. What can I store? ^top
You can store almost anything. Examples of items for storage are furniture, documents, books, building materials, commercial stock, wine, antiques, sports equipment etc. You can also store your collectibles and any item you value but do not need in your home or office.
If you are uncertain whether your items are allowed for storage at our facility, please do not hesitate to contact any of our staff and we will be happy to assist you.
10. What can’t I store? ^top
Items that do not meet requirements for safety are not permitted into storage. These items include
• Hazardous materials such as explosive and inflammable goods
• Perishable items which could decompose i.e. exposed foodstuffs
• Living items such as animals and plants
• Stolen or illegal goods such as drugs, firearms etc
11. Do you have trolleys available? ^top
Yes we do. We have different trolleys and pallet jacks available free of charge for customer use.
12. Is there a certain storage period? ^top
You are welcome to stay for as long as you need storage. However we do require our customers to store for a minimum of 2 weeks.
13. How long is the notice period if I wish to terminate my storage space? ^top
We only require fourteen days notice of your intention to vacate your space.
At this time a refund will be processed for the initial security deposit and any unused monies that you have paid. Notice must be given in writing, either by fax, post or e-mail.
14. What does your storage rental cover? Are there any hidden costs? ^top
The price you are quoted by our staff includes your storage charge, rates, service charges, utility bills and maintenance costs. There are no hidden costs.
You can purchase coverage for contents insurance which is not included in our rental rates.
A refundable security deposit equal to one month storage charge is payable at the commencement of storage and is refunded when you vacate your storage room.
An administration fee is a one-time charge payable at the commencement of storage.
15. Do you provide removal services? ^top
Not at this time. However, we have a list of reputable removal companies which you can contact. For more details, you can ask our helpful staff.
16. Will there be someone from Extra Space to help me move my items into the storage space? ^top
Extra Space is a storage, not a removalist company. However if you do require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact any of our staff and we are happy to recommend you a list of our preferred movers.
17. Can I transfer to another room if I find I have too much or too little space? ^top
You are welcome to move to another size room at any time to suit your storage requirements, subject to availability.
18. Do I need to sign a lease? ^top
No you don't. You simply sign a straightforward storage agreement prior to moving into your room. Your contract is a month-to-month agreement with Extra Space and comprises a simple two-page contract, which takes less than ten minutes to complete.
19. Who can I speak to at your facility if I face problems? ^top
There will always be a trained member of staff available during reception opening times.
20. How often can I have access to my goods and how much does it cost for access? ^top
You have access to your property seven days a week, so you can add or remove items from your storage room whenever you require. Access is FREE at Extra Space, 24 hours a day.
21. Do you have climate-controlled storage space? ^top
Yes we do. We have facilities which allow you to cellar your wine or store your goods and even fragile possessions. Our wine storage areas are set up at 13°C, and at a constant 65% to 75% humidity.
We also have air conditioned storage space, and these are kept between 23 and 25°C.